Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What is the Best Advice You've Ever Gotten?

As kids we heard a lot of advice from a lot of people. Some was good, some not, some was flat scary.

As someone that works with kids and has a four of my own, I am careful to not share a lot of life advice for a few reasons.

1 - I don't pretend to be the wisest person on Earth.

2 - Mis-interpreted advice can be dangerous, especially in the form of a metaphor...which is usually how I speak.

3 - I just don't like to do it.

But there is a need for advice from people who have spun a few wheels already (metaphor).

I must say that the absolute best life advice I ever got was from my old man.

NEVER bring a knife to a gun fight. 

My father was not the kind to carry weapons or even engage in physical confrontations with others.  So what did he mean?

To me, it meant never expect to compete in a speech competition with well-practiced people without being well-practiced yourself.

It also meant never go into an athletic competition if you aren't in prime condition and your competitors are.  

It also meant to never expect to get a job that requires a Master's degree if you are only carrying a high school diploma.

It also meant to not expect to have much success winning business if you didn't do your homework and everyone else has.

And so on.  The applicability is universal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment